Healthy Low Calorie Fruit Smoothies
There may be hundreds of fruit smoothie recipes out there, but only few of them are low calorie fruit smoothies. In fact, many smoothies have great amounts of calories and sugar. To make healthy fruit smoothies, therefore, choose natural ingredients. Only then, the calorie is under control and nutritional value is most advantageous.
The best way of controlling the calorie content and ingredient is to make smoothies at home. Only then, getting the best benefits of the smoothie ingredients is possible. Here are some suggestions on selecting low calorie ingredients.
- Most fruits have very low level of calorie, indeed. Extra, unnecessary calorie only comes from juiced and dried fruits. Still, some fruits contain lower calorie than others do. Fruits with lower calories are watermelons, apricots, strawberries, lemons, apples, cantaloupes, papayas, plums, blackberries, honeydews, raspberries, pineapple, blueberries, etc. Most fresh fruits are low in calorie, except avocados and more fatty fruits. Frozen fruits are also good options, as long as they are unsweetened. Frozen bananas are especially known for the creamy effect, a very good alternative to cut calorie from sweetened frozen yogurt or ice cream.
- Adding greens could add some more calories. Still, leafy greens add valuable fibers and phytonutrients.
- Add low calorie liquids, such as tea or water. While some people like the herb flavor of black, red, or green tea, other people love other kinds of teas, such as chaga mushroom, cinnamon, plantain leaves, alfalfa, raspberry, etc., because they have richer taste with the same medicinal benefits. Low fat or fat free cow milk, almond milk, or soymilk is also a good option of liquid. Other possible liquids are nonfat yogurt, plain yogurt, no or low calorie sweeteners, or ice cubes. If tea or water, although it cuts more than 100 calories, is too plain, add whole fruit ingredients for better taste. Besides, whole fruits are healthier than fruit juices because each fruit universally contains something in it that helps the body absorb the essential minerals and vitamins. On the other hand, bottled juices generally contain dyes, concentrate, preservatives, fructose, syrup, sugar, and other empty calories.
Low calorie fruit smoothies could be healthier by adding several healthy ingredients. Although a healthy fruit smoothie recipe may not include the ingredients, adding them into a smoothie will not totally alter the overall taste and texture. Here are the healthy and neutral ingredients to enrich the smoothie nutrition.
- Protein powder will add protein to maintain the muscle mass. Soy or whey protein contains 100 calories and 15 g to 25 g of protein. Do not add protein powders with added sweeteners and carbohydrates because they will increase the calorie number.
- Beans add fiber and protein into all kinds of smoothies. Fiber and protein together regulate the level of blood glucose, which may be the concern of most diabetic patients. Stabilizing the blood sugars is also important for those who are in a weight loss program. Soaking beans overnight before cooking will help eliminate the effect of intestinal gas.
- Go for natural sweeteners, such as honey or stevia. Derived from stevia leaves, stevia does not have any calories and side effects. Some people love the natural flavor of fruits in a smoothie, but other people may want their smoothies sweet. Dried fruits are also sweeter, but that means they have more calories. Simply by choosing stevia over dried fruit cuts 200 calories.
Watch the Portions
Low calorie ingredients do not strictly cut the amount of calorie. More than one portion of healthy smoothie at once is not going to be healthy anymore. It is also important to note that each smoothie recipe does not always produce a single serving. With excessive consumption, there is no way low calorie fruit smoothies could be healthy.
Another Way of Fruit Serving
With careful ingredient selections and proper making, smoothie can be an alternative of serving fibers. A glass of healthy fruit smoothie should not only low in calorie, but contain essential minerals and vitamins as well. Remember to preserve the nutritional value while making low calorie fruit smoothies.
I recommend you to try smoothie recipes from Sensational Smoothies; they have more than 180 healthy smoothie recipes that you can make by yourself. Read the Review of Healthy and Delicious Sensational Smoothies right here.
Please share this post if this post beneficial for you. Thanks.